The three Brothers Nishant,Rikant, Prashant started EaseMyTrip from home-garage in May 2008.
Within 3 months they lost all investment (incurring losses due to fraud conducted by some miscreants). To heck with it, they thought, & decided to give it another try.
EaseMyTrip is among top-5 travel-portals in India with annual turnover of Rs 1400 crores & 28 offices across the globe. EaseMyTrip is the only travel-company which is bootstrapping (non-funded) and yet profitable, even though all of our competitors are well foreign-funded and yet in losses!
So how did David actually beat Goliath?
1. The patient game for last 8 years. Instead of burning-money and spending INR 1500 to acquire every new-customer (like all our well-funded competitors still do), we just never charged convenience-fees & focused on giving great services. Even when we were growing cash-positively every year, we still decided to not invest in marketing.
2. Amazing Retention. 83% of our customers have booked via EaseMyTrip more than 4 times. Plus our customers referred us wholeheartedly to their friends. During few dinner occasions, founders have overheard (conversation at nearby dinner-table), where someone would be informing their friends about zero convenience-fees at EaseMyTrip
3. No crazy hiring. We are still a lean team of 280 employees, which are directly managed and supervised by founding team. Ironically we have never hired folks from IIT or IIM. eCommerce is a wafer-thin margin business and frugality is the only way to keep it successful.
4. Keeping low profile. You would have hardly heard about us in media till now. We never hired a PR firm and hardly visited startup conferences. We hardly ever get time to mingle outside of our business & customers.
5. Quick Decisions. Most of our experimental decisions are taken very quickly. We don’t allow delay or over thinking to kill the enthusiasm. Plus founding team being brothers, we don’t have to wait for approval from investor or external party
Unique features of EaseMyTrip, which made us preferred choice without marketing?
1. EaseMyTrip.in is the only portal that doesn’t charge convenience-fees on air-tickets, hence everyone at least saves Rs 200 per passenger on air-tickets!
2. In order to reduce holiday-cost & provide Indian services, EaseMyTrip has its own staff, cars & food arrangements in Dubai, Singapore, Thailand, Maldives, Bali & Mauritius
3. EaseMyTrip has handpicked & partnered with top 868 hotels across India (avg TripAdvisor ratings for these hotels is 4.68 out of 5). EaseMyTrip only sells these handpicked properties @ unbeatable price
4. Using EaseMyTrip mobile app, now airplane co-passengers can chat with each other (even without internet). Passengers are finding travel-buddies & networking on air-plane itself
5. To help tourist in cases of emergencies (medical or theft), EaseMyTrip tied-up with 450+ NRIs across every major city in the world. Recently an NRI helped an Indian-tourist, as his daughter needed to be hospitalised at midnight in Budapest
Promoters behind EaseMyTrip.
Nishant Pitti – A seasoned travel mogul with more than 8 years of experience in industry. He looks after finance-dept & relationships with airlines, hotels and agents. Nishant recently forayed into movie industry and has successfully co-produced movies like Madaari & Freaky-Ali
Rikant Pitti – A tech wizard with more than 8 years of experience in managing entire technology of EaseMyTrip. Rikant also manages marketing & customer-support at EaseMyTrip. His hobbies include travelling, cars & remaining abreast with technology
Prashant Pitti – Prashant looks after corporate, holidays & expansion opportunities at EaseMyTrip. He is an alumnus from IIT Madras, has worked in few banks in Chicago & has multiple startup experience. Prashant hobbies include meditation & running